Install Windows Software Myself
CSE Labs uses System Center Configuration Manager (also known as ConfigMgr) software to deploy software to CSE Labs Windows computers. As part of this software, students will have access to the Software Center. The Software Center is a portal to Configuration Manager that will allow you to see what software is available for installation.
To access Software Center, go to Start → All Programs → Microsoft System Center 2012--Configuration Manager → Software Center.
Any software that is listed in Software Center with an "Available" status means that anyone logged into the computer can install the software. Once the software is installed, it should be available to anyone who uses the computer. You may also see software with a "Required" status. This means the software will be automatically installed on the computer at some point, usually at night during one of our maintenance windows. Depending on how the Required application is deployed, you may be able to install that software ahead of schedule.
The Software Center is the best place to see what software is available and what software has already been installed. If you do not see the application you are looking for in Software Center, notify firstname.lastname@example.org and we will see if we can add that application to the Software Center.
There is additional software that that can be added using "Add or Remove Programs" in the Windows Control Panel.
Accessing Windows Software
Every Windows machine has a program called "Software Center" installed on it. This is a database of of managed software that allows anyone to install on the computer they are using.
Accessing "Software Center"
- To access the "Software Center," open the Start menu by clicking the Start button or pressing the Windows key.
- Type "Software Center" into the "Search programs and files" search box.
- Click on the "Software Center" icon and text
- Under "Available Software," check the box to the left of the software program you want to install and click the "Install" button on the bottom right corner of the program.
- You will see "Installation Status" for the software you selected. Wait for your program to be "Installed" under the "Status" column before using the software.
Applications not listed
Applications that are not listed here may still be considered for installation. Please send an email to email@example.com to request installation of other applications.