Print from Windows (CSE Labs Configuration)
Adding a Printer Manually
- Open the Windows File Explorer (i.e. libraries or my computer window) NOTE: This is NOT internet explorer
- In the top bar type in "\\cse-print.ad.umn.edu\csel-" a list should drop down with "\\cse-print.ad.umn.edu\csel-<printer>" options for lab printers.
- Click on the printer you wish to add. If drivers do not automatically download hit the enter key with your printer selection typed into the top bar.
- The printer queue should automatically open. As an extra check, open your "Devices and Printers" window from the start menu. If the printer shows up, you have added it correctly.
Adding a Printer Through the Wizard
- Open the "Devices and Printers" window from the start menu.
- In the top left corner hit "Add a Printer" button.
- Choose "Add a Bluetooth/Network Printer"
- The wizard will try to populate a list of printers, this will fail. Choose "The Printer I Want Isn't Listed"
- Under "Select a shared printer by name" enter "\\cse-print.ad.umn.edu\csel-"a list should drop down with "\\cse-print.ad.umn.edu\csel-<printer>" options for lab printers.
- Click on the printer that you want. If it does not auromatically start to download the drivers, make sure that the printer name is correct and hit next.
- Hit "Next" for the next window.
- Hit "Finish".
- To check to make sure everything was added correctly open your "Devices and Printers" window from the start menu. If it shows up, everything should be set up correctly.
If you are still having trouble connecting to a printer after following these steps.
- Log out and log back in.
- Check to make sure that the printer is still added to your profile.
- If not, run through either method again then come back here.
- If it is, try connecting to it by double-clicking the printer and selecting "See what's printing". If you can see the queue, you should be able to print. If not, remove the printer and try re-adding it by following either method again.
If you have used troubleshooting step 2 and you still cannot print:
- Check your printed pages quota: double-click the icon on your desktop.
- If all else fails, email or call the operator
- Red Phone (if in the labs)
Let the operator know that you have gone through these steps, and the lab, printer and computer that you are using